Friday, May 31, 2013

Vero Beach - Wednesday

Today was the first day we ventured out on our own without Sam chauffeuring us around. Vero Beach may only have a population of 15,000 but it covers over 600 square miles and no matter how easy everyone says it is to get around, we still got lost several times. I can usually find my first location but then I get turned around and I'm lost. But I can find my way to the beach so we met Sam for lunch at Bobby's.


Bobby's is located in the Reef Ocean Resort and was the popular restaurant and bar hangout for the Brooklyn Dodgers during spring training. Bobby's is also noted for serving the best burgers in town and it didn't disappoint.

Ocean Drive runs along the ocean and is full of cute boutique shops. So Sonia and I decided our afternoon would be spent visiting those shops. Most of the clothing, shoes and accessories are designed for the glitzy and glamorous customer - $325 for a sweater - well beyond our price range. We couldn't find even one souvenir shop - no magnet for Karen! We must not have been dressed appropriately because we went into a nail salon to get our nails done and the lady made excuses about being extremely busy and quickly ushered us out the door. So we headed out for our favorite spot - the mall. I haven't had enough shopping yet!

It took us awhile to remember how to get to the mall but we eventually found it.


There we found the usual mall nail salon and had our nails done. 

Using our handy phone GPS we eventually made our way back to pick up Sam and headed for the local tavern to play Bingo. O'Conchs is a small local pub that serves only wine and beer. Apparently a liquor license for hard alcohol is very expensive in Florida so most bars serve only wine and beer. 

Wednesday night is Bar Bingo night. This place is "so" local that the owner, Momma Conch, uses one of those bingo cages with a hand crank that spits out the balls. Sonia won the first game, $21, and I won the last game, $28, although my prize pot was split three ways. 



Sonia was the designated driver but from the looks of this picture, I'm not sure if she wasn't sneaking a few beers. But since this is the only picture I have for our Bar Bingo night, I'm posting it. With my sense of direction here, I'm not sure if I could find the place again to take a better picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment