Saturday, December 6, 2014

Happy Birthday to Me!

As you get older it's harder to acknowledge your birthday. But I've come to find out that most people, once you "look" a certain age, don't ask how old you are. They just offer congratulations - probably because they can't believe you made it this far! I spent the first half of my birthday helping Melissa and Jamie get Violet to smile for Christmas card pics - not as easy as it may sound. Then up to Harrah's to visit with Michael while waiting for my friends to get off work for a happy hour in my honor.
Several people I used to work with at KCP&L showed up at Paul & Jack's - a quaint little bar and grill in North Kansas City. It was nice to see them. I can't believe it's been almost 4 years since I retired. But we all fell into the old routine of shop talk and family lives.
Then my friends, Robin and Debbie, decided we needed to go next door to a bar for dancing. I was floored when the (for lack of a better word) "hostess" (she looked older than me) asked to see my driver's license. She said it was against Missouri law to enter a bar without proper ID. Always quick on my feet with a response I asked her if it happened to be my birthday would I get a free drink. She grudgingly looked at my license then handed over a free drink ticket. The place was completely empty and it was already 8:30. Debbie, who is quite a few years younger than me, said things didn't really get busy until around 11:00. I was stunned. I'm usually sound asleep by then. But I did stay until 9:30. I'm just not the young party girl I used to be. But it was a birthday to remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment