Monday, January 21, 2019

AFC Championship Football Game

There was a slim possibility I was going to the AFC Championship game and I mean less than 1%.
But the gambler in me played the worst odds and sat up at Harrah's hoping and praying that 2 people would back out at the last minute and Trish and I would be able to go to the game.
And the odds paid off. It was the eleventh hour and 59 minutes when we climbed the steps of the bus to see the most coveted game in Kansas City Chief history.
Never mind that the temperatures hovered in the teens. I spent the few days before the game deciding what and how many layers I needed to stay warm. I even crocheted headbands to layer the warmth for my head.
Before standing in the hour long line to enter the stadium gates, I searched the tailgaters to find my friend Todd from high school. Todd is a veteran season ticket holder and always tailgates - rain or shine. I was just hoping to remember where he usually sets up.
The Chiefs started off slow and didn't play the best of games. The second half was more to the fans' liking and with 30 seconds left on the clock, the Chiefs tied the game 31-31.
My mind started flashing back to the longest game in football history played at the old Municipal Stadium in Kansas City on Christmas day 1971 when the Miami Dolphins beat the Chiefs 27-24 in another AFC Championship game and I was there. After sitting in the cold for over 3 hours, I feared a new record would be set. But with an unlucky coin toss, the recharged Patriots surged down the field, scored a touchdown and beat the Chiefs 37-31.
Would I do it again........ummmm, NO! But it was exciting knowing you were a part of something big.

No comments:

Post a Comment