Thursday, October 17, 2013

Loving Florida

Hopefully I'll be able to get caught up today on my trip to Florida. I don't consider myself a very computer savvy person. I didn't realize how much I depend on my wi-fi and my eyes just aren't good enough to do this on my phone.

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 12

Saturday was one of those "I need a break" days. Even though I begged the management company to give me a late check out time, the best they would do was 11:00 a.m. So I vacated the room as instructed but spent the next few hours taking advantage of their pool, walking the beach and hanging out at the bar before heading to stay with my friend Sam.


Meanwhile back home Violet is spending a relaxing day shopping.
Notice how she puts one foot on the tray as she enjoys her "mum-mum" - the modern day equivalent to the zwieback or melba toast we gave our babies back in the 80's.

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 13

Sunday Sam took me on an airboat ride.
An airboat is a flat-bottomed boat propelled in a forward direction by an aircraft-type fan mounted to the back of the boat. This is about the only type of transportation able to flow through the marshes of the St. John's river. The airboat is also equipped with AV communication headsets. The headsets allow you to talk to other passengers and hear the guide describe the wildlife and landscape. The St. John's river is unique in that it is a north flowing river. I really didn't know that was significant until this tour.


Even though you see clear waterways, the guide purposefully skims through the lillies, reeds and plants that flourish in the brackish water.
At times you can see bubbles in the water. I thought it might be alligators or other wildlife dodging the airboat. But the bubbles are the result of a build up of methane gas. The smell isn't too bad but this is in fact a swamp.
The guide guaranteed we'd see alligators and he wasn't kidding. Besides this 5 foot gator resting in the shade, we also saw an 8 foot mama alligator below the surface of the water protecting her babies.  In the summer the female alligator builds a nest of vegetation which provides the heat needed to incubate the eggs. The sex of the baby alligator is determined by the temperature in the nest. Temperatures of 86 degrees or lower produce females. Temperatures of 93 degrees or higher produce all male alligators. The mother's only job for the first year of the baby alligators' life is to protect them from predators - primarily other alligators. As we rode by and saw the mama alligator, the guide kept stressing how aggressive she could be. As if one of us was going to jump off the boat for a closer look or better photo opportunity. The tour lasted about an hour and was very enjoyable.
 
After the airboat ride we headed back to the beach for an Oceanside lunch. The afternoon was spent out on the golf course. Now golf is not my sport. No matter how hard I try, I cannot hit a golf ball straight or even hit it at all. I guess if it was easy, we'd all be professional golfers. I just don't gave the patience.
 
MONDAY, OCTOBER 14
 
I like to start my days at Casey's. Today I had the BLT for breakfast.
Not only is it huge, but extremely tasty. And let's don't forget the free wi-fi.

Monday was shopping day. Vero Beach has a huge mall AND an outlet mall. Melissa would be in heaven. I only bought one shirt from Calvin Klein but couldn't pass up the bargains at Coach - one new purse and a billfold. After shopping I went back to the beach and took the opportunity to check in with Dad from a gazebo at the Driftwood.
Dad told me he took advantage of coupon Friday and even walked away a winner. He liked it so much that he and Karen returned the next day to spend coupon Saturday/Sunday tickets. He can't wait until next coupon Friday - I won't be home until Saturday. Don't get too used to it, Dad. Coupon Fridays are still my days.

No comments:

Post a Comment