Monday, October 14, 2013

Escape to Florida

WEDNESDAY - OCTOBER 9

It's been a few months since I ventured away from home. But since Melissa, Jamie, Violet, Khloe and Lola moved in, I can't quite remember what alone time is. So I decided to go back to Vero Beach, Florida. 
I checked into the Driftwood Resort complete with beach access, pool, restaurant and bar and live entertainment at night. 
My condo was a one bedroom with bath, living room and kitchen. In my excitement to be away from home I forgot to take a picture of the inside of the condo before I checked out. Most of the units are time shares with a few units owned by the Driftwood. There's a sale going on right now to purchase time shares but there's so many different fun places to stay here on the beach that I'm going to pass on the time share route.
Besides access to the beach they also have a restaurant and bar called Waldo's. Much better for me since I'm not a big fan of sitting in the sand. There's not many people here right because I picked a time that's called "between season". Most of the Midwest snowbirds will be here in a couple of weeks.

THURSDAY - OCTOBER 10

After an early morning walk on the beach I headed to a little outdoor cafe called Casey's for breakfast. Then back to the pool. After a couple of hours of baking in the sun/shade (I'm no longer a beach bunny) Sam picked me up and we headed out to explore some sights in Vero Beach. Sam's brother owns a consignment store so we checked that out. Not even close to the antique stores I'm used to along I-70 in Missouri. Then we drove through several different neighborhoods looking at houses. I'm not quite sure owning real estate in Florida is something I want to do. Everything looks so water damaged (again I didn't take pictures, rats!) Florida residents also need to learn what works for colors for houses. I'm not a big fan of pink, blue and yellow.

We then went to the local pool hall. The last time I was here I won the pool matches which didn't set well with Sam. He wanted revenge. This time he won. So before I leave I'm sure there will be a tie breaker.

We then went back to Waldo's to enjoy dolphin fingers and listen to the outdoor entertainment. The band was good until intermission. Then this lady sang. I had to look twice - I thought it might be a cat howling. One of the good things about Vero Beach is the night life is pretty much over around 10:00 pm. Still a little late for me but I'm on vacation!

FRIDAY - OCTOBER 11

Back to Casey's for breakfast.
I like coming here because it's so quiet and has great breakfast sandwiches. Most of the other outdoor cafes serve only coffee and pastries. Plus Casey's has free wi-fi. The day was mostly the same as Thursday. But tonight we met Sam's brother and his wife for dinner at Bobby's - local favorite. Bobby even came by our table after dinner and invited us into the bar for after dinner drinks. I'd like to think it's because Sam and his brother dine there often but I'm sure it's more wanting to keep customers from going anywhere else. After the free drink we headed next door to Cobalt's where the locals hang for a night of dancing. I always feel like the youngest one in the club. It's great! This time the DJ played a little longer (10:30 pm) because everyone was having such a great time.

Back home Violet is continuing to learn new things. She's now into brushing her own teeth instead of Melissa doing it for her.
With eight teeth this is a pretty hard job but she loves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment