Monday, March 18, 2013

Violet Sophia Taylor

My day started with a phone call from Melissa at 5:30 a.m. From reruns of "Friends", Melissa and I had been laughing about Rachel being in labor and several expectant moms delivering befor her. One expectant mother came into the room, paused for a bit, then squeaked "Oooh, that was a big one" referring to her labor pain. So when Melissa called me, her first words were "Oooh, that was a big one". I knew that meant she was in labor. She and Jamie were headed to the hospital. It took me about an hour to get ready then off I rushed to the hospital.


When I arrived, everything was going well. Melissa was only dialated to a 2 and an epidural could not be started until she was at least a 4.


We watched the baby monitor for several hours and after several more checks by the nurse and as labor became a little more intense, an epidural was administered.


Insertion of the epidural eased the labor pains and Melissa was then again able to cope with her labor. About 3:00 p.m. labor pains increased again. Jamie stayed with her and I checked on her every 20 minutes. She was not happy. My heart was breaking for her. Around 5:00 p.m. her nurse said she was ready to push. I was in the waiting room, not pacing, but close to it. I kept checking with the receptionist but they wouldn't give me any information. It's a good thing Michele was with me. Although she says she was nervous, she was a very calming force for me.

At 6:00 p.m. I saw Melissa's doctor walk through the waiting room. I'm freaking out, texting Melissa's girlfriend, Jenny, asking her if the doctor only showed up to catch the baby as she was coming out. Jenny replied yes, but that didn't ease my nervousness. At 7:00 p.m. I received a text from Jamie with no words, just a picture of our new baby girl.


Violet Sopia Taylor was born March 18, 2013, 6:48 p.m. She weighed 8 pounds and was 21 inches long. When I heard 8 pounds I wondered how Melissa could have had a baby that big. Jamie swears they pulled the baby out from under the table. But she was perfect and Melissa...well Melissa was in quite a bit of pain but she was doing good, happy as could be and Jamie was so proud.

After an hour and a half of family bonding, Jamie finally came into the waiting room and I rushed past him to check on Melissa and Violet. I was so overwhelmed when I saw both of them...my baby girl and her baby girl. The feeling was wonderful.

I left shortly before 10:00 p.m. that night promising to return first thing in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment