Friday, June 16, 2017

Arrowhead 5K Walk/Run

I can finally say I've walked in a 5K race. Three of my friends from high school and I foolishly agreed to sign up for this walk. The Arrowhead 5K is a night race that took us through the parking lots around Kauffman and Arrowhead Stadium, through the Arrowhead concourse and Hall of Honor and finished under the lights on the field at Arrowhead.
For those that might not know, 5K is a little over 3 miles. The first mile went rather well. During the second mile, I was trying to get my friends to cut through one of the parking lots. I was out voted. The last mile had us climbing the ramp up through Arrowhead Stadium. I was pretty excited when I passed a lady with a cane. That's not funny, but I had to restrain myself from stealing her cane before I fell over. Thank goodness it was a cloudy evening or the extreme heat would have killed me way before the end of the race.
I finally reached the finish line only to find out they had run out of water. Are you kidding me? Then they hung this medal around my neck that must have weighed another 5 pounds. Top it off with only one exit from the field, up a flight of stairs. I cut to the front of the line with hecklers continually telling me there was a line. Fighting exhaustion and probably dehydration I would have fought with anyone standing in my way up those stairs.
Would I do it again? Probably. It was actually fun and a good time with friends. I didn't come in first or finish last. I was actually in the middle of the pack and finished in less than an hour. Yay!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment