Sunday, December 27, 2015

Christmas 2015

Christmas Eve was spent at the Taylor's house with round one of gift giving.
Violet was very excited to open presents but extremely overwhelmed with all the new toys. We probably could have just wrapped empty boxes and she would have had just as much fun.
As my family gets larger, the number of presents increases. Even Lincoln got several gifts and he has no idea what's going on.
Jamie volunteered to cook dinner and spent most of his time in the kitchen either cooking or cleaning up while keeping his ear glued to the Lone Jack fire department monitor.
Ashley had to work on Christmas, so I was glad we were able to have some time together as a family.
Violet only allows so many pictures of herself to be taken. This is a set of wooden magnetic dolls that you can put different outfits on - the equivalent of paper dolls when I was a child.
The next morning the Taylors headed to Sedalia for Christmas with Jamie's family before everyone came to my house on Christmas.
I didn't put out as many Christmas decorations as I usually do. I'd like to say it's because it's too big of a distraction for Violet. But the truth is I just didn't want to put everything away after Christmas.
Honey baked ham was on the menu this year along with potato salad, baked beans, Teresa's popular deviled eggs,
and Karen's fruit salad and scrumptious cream pie.
Then the chaos of gift exchanging began. As much as I try to enjoy watching everyone unwrap each and every gift, there's just too many of us and too many gifts.
I kept trying to steal Dad's gift of a fruit cake baked by the Trappists of Assumption Abbey in Ava, Missouri. Not too many people like fruit cake, but it's one of my favorites.
Lincoln didn't quite enjoy the holidays as much as Violet. I feel so bad because I forgot all about giving Lincoln his stocking. It's still sitting under the tree.
But the best gift of all was the one Karen gave to Lola. The sweater says "Dear Santa, I can explain". If you know Lola, you can understand how true that statement is.
I almost forgot, I did get a family picture. My theme for my Christmas card was "ugly Christmas sweater". 
All too soon the day was over and everyone went home. Another Christmas has passed and not a snow flake in sight. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. But I feel like I'm celebrating Christmas in Florida. I'll probably regret this statement in another month. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment