Monday, November 16, 2015

Lincoln Oliver Taylor

Although Lincoln's delivery may have been smooth and easy, the events leading up to taking Melissa to the hospital had me questioning whether I should check Melissa into the hospital or myself.

It all started with inviting Melissa, Jamie and Violet to Harrah's for dinner. I was going to meet them up there. When they arrived I got a call from Melissa telling me they were in the parking lot but she couldn't come in. She wasn't sure whether her water broke or she over extended her bladder. But there were no contractions. So Jamie and Violet were going to come in and go to dinner and Melissa was going to drive herself home, get her things and go get checked at the hospital. When I heard this my mind was screaming "WHAT! She can't drive herself!" But Melissa was more concerned about Violet getting something to eat. So I gave my car keys to Jamie and hopped in the truck with Melissa. Oh, did I forget to mention that Melissa was driving! On top of that it was the peak of rush hour traffic so I suggested to Melissa that we go straight to the hospital. Reluctantly she agreed.

When we got to the hospital Melissa swung her legs around to get out of the truck but was once again struck with a sensation of loosing control of her bladder. She couldn't walk, she couldn't get back in the truck. All she wanted was Jamie. So I calmly called Jamie to find out where he was. He told me they were just finishing dinner. I explained the situation and Jamie told me to go inside and tell the nurses we needed a wheel chair. I answered - calmly again - okay, see you soon. Then took off running through the parking lot to the maternity ward.

Now at St Luke's in Lee's Summit the maternity ward has their own separate elevator entrance. You have to push the call button, tell them who you're seeing, then they let you push the 2nd floor button. I told the intercom box that my daughter was having a baby. She was in the parking lot, but couldn't walk in. I needed a wheel chair. Once I got the clearance to go up, I walked through the lobby doors and heard one of the nurses say "that's probably my friend, Melissa". I recognized her and said "yes, it's Melissa". So Angie, six other nurses and I headed back down the elevator. Then Angie (the nurse) asked, where's the car. Panting from all the running I said "down the second row". Angie asked why I didn't park in front of the door and I cried "because she wouldn't let me drive!" As we rounded the corner, here comes Melissa shuffling slowly toward the entrance. I guess everyone thought I was telling them Melissa was having the baby in the parking lot. I still don't know what I said that was wrong. I'm sure I'm not the first to have this happen. Once upstairs Angie confirmed that her water had broke and she was admitted and the process began.
This labor and delivery was so easy for Melissa. There was only one time where she had a little bit of pain. Epidurals are wonderful.
Maternity wards are so different than when I had kids. Now it's more a family affair. 
I was prepared with favorite toys to keep Violet entertained.
Violet and I played while Melissa and Jamie calmly went through labor.
After one more picture of the family of three, before they became four, Violet fell asleep.
At midnight Jamie carried a sleeping Violet to the waiting room and 42 minutes later, little Lincoln was born.
Lincoln Oliver Taylor was born November 14, 2015, 12:42 a.m., 6 lbs. 15 oz., 19-3/4" long. He doesn't look very happy but I think he was cold.
I couldn't wait to hold him but I had to wait until 3:00 in the morning.
After running home and getting a few hours of sleep I was back at the hospital.
Melissa was so happy to see Violet.
Melissa and Jamie were wondering how Violet would react to meeting Lincoln. When Violet saw Lincoln she said "He's moving!" She plays with her baby dolls but they don't move.
Then she noticed he was asleep so she was telling every to "Shhh...he's sleeping".
Melissa and Jamie have been preparing Violet for Lincoln's arrival by telling her Lincoln was going to bring her a present.
After this initial touch
Violet hasn't been that interested in Lincoln.
While Jamie was holding Lincoln, Violet told Jamie "Ma hold". Maybe a little bit of jealousy.
After all the visitors left, Melissa had a little quite time with her new son.
He even opened his eyes and looked around before falling asleep.
Today the Taylor's went home to start their new life as a family of 4.
Violet may not be interested in her new little brother today but I'm sure she'll be a great big sister. Now who's going to break the news to Lola!

No comments:

Post a Comment