Sunday, January 26, 2014

Melissa - Happy 31st Birthday

Today my baby girl is 31 years old. It makes me cringe thinking she could be that old. I don't even want to think how old I'd be even if I would have had her at 16. Although 48 isn't bad. Yeah, I'll settle for 48!
By the way, Melissa wanted me to point out she wouldn't look so bad if she wasn't so tired. I think she looks great. The family gathered for dinner at Cheddar's. There was 8 of us - Dad, Karen, Teresa, Brad, Jamie, Violet, Melissa and myself. Sometimes I don't understand what people think when they are at work. When I told the hostess we needed a table for 8, she told me the table was occupied by a family who had been there since 2:00 that afternoon and as soon as they left she would seat us. It was now 5:00. My next question to her was "What if they decide to stay until 10:00 tonight?" She looked at me a little funny and then said they wouldn't be there that long. I suggested they seat us in adjoining booths in which she promptly complied. Would she really have made us wait until that party left? By the way, they were still there when we finished eating. Sheesh!

Okay, back to Melissa.
From the day Melissa was born, she has been a joy to my life. Even though she was the spitting image of her brother, she was much more shy and easier to control.
Within a blink of an eye, Melissa had her first birthday. Although she didn't walk until she was a year and a half, she could crawl with the best of them trying to keep up with Michael.
Melissa went through her awkward phase during grade school. I found this picture to post not wanting to embarrass her with the photos she hates. You know which ones, don't you Mis!
For a few years she even found time to be a cheerleader for the Sacred Heart Gremlins.
But her true talents shined through when she was playing volleyball. I'd have to look up the countless number of times she was featured in the Sedalia paper for her excellence on the court.
During this time she met Jamie and I knew it would be for always.
Her high school days were full of the usual teenage stuff - volleyball, softball, school dances, slumber parties and being crowned homecoming queen.
Then senior year
And high school graduation.
Melissa continued to live with me during her college days attending Maplewoods Junior College then later graduating from UMKC.
Then came her engagement to Jamie...
And in 2006 her wedding.
Melissa celebrated her 30th birthday 7 months pregnant. That was the day we had her baby shower. It's just like Melissa to try and celebrate 2 things at once.
Then in 2013 this wonderful bundle of joy came into her life...
And continues to be her reason to get up each and every morning - or in her case - for the 3rd or 4th time during the night.
So Happy Birthday Melissa. May your life continue to be as blessed as it can be. And remember it's all "Because You Loved Me"....Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment